An Amazing Evening With Dr. Bruce Winders Curator of The Alamo

 

The Bridge Street History Center’s Ramay-Macatee Lecture Series continued to offer an amazing evening to a full Historic Granbury Opera House with Dr. Bruce Winders, Curator of The Alamo speaking on his observations about how historical events (such as those leading up to the famous Battle of The Alamo) are simply pieces of a much larger and connected story. He also addressed the varying accounts of the demise of David Crockett of Alamo fame, and husband of Hood County’s own Elizabeth Patton Crockett. Dr. Winders wove in interesting and sometimes humorous personal stories of his experiences as a history teacher and also of his work and encounters as Curator of The Alamo. Lastly, his account of the Travis letters and efforts to reach the Alamo defenders shed new insight on how those events are generally perceived. A reception and book signing was held at Celebration Hall following the lecture and a good time was had by all.

The Bridge Street History Center Committee wishes to thank Dr. Winders, our Corporate Sponsors, staff of the City of Granbury and The Historic Granbury Opera House, Friends and Advisors of The Bridge Street History Center, Ike and Trisha Thomas for use of Celebration Hall,  ticket distributors Red on The Square and The Historic Nutt House, any and all volunteer workers and contributors, and especially those folks who took time to attend the lecture.

The Ramay – Macatee Lecture Series : The Alamo and The Crockett Legacy

Battle of The Alamo

In continuation of the Ramay – Macatee Lecture Series Dr Bruce Winders, Curator and Historian of The Alamo Museum will be our featured speaker. Hood County has a strong connection to the family of Alamo Hero David Crockett as his widow and children relocated to then Johnson County (now Hood) in 1853 to occupy the land grant award them by The Republic of Texas for David’s service in gaining independence for Texas and her grave is located in Acton Cemetery.

Tickets Available at:

Red On The Square  101 West Pearl St.   Granbury, TX

The Historic Nutt House Hotel  119 East Bridge St.  Granbury, TX

The Bridge Street History Center 319 East Bridge St.  Granbury, TX (Sat. 1-4)

The Ramay – Macatee Lecture Series : Gen’s Hood, Granbury and The Battle of Franklin, TN

Dr. Stephen Woodworth, Professor of History at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas will be speaking on the 1864 Battle of Franklin Tennessee with emphasis on the roles of General J.B Hood and General H.B Granbury.   This lecture will be presented at the Historic Granbury Opera House on September 21, 2017 at 6:30PM CDT.   See image below for full details. 

The Ramay – Macatee Lecture Series : The Battle of Franklin, TN

Jacob DeCordova’s Map of the State of Texas – 1861

The 1861 map of Texas compiled by Jacob de Cordova and Robert Creuzbaur shows Johnson County, but there are no named communities other than Wardville, which was the first county seat of Johnson Co. and was later moved to Buchanan (both west of present day Cleburne). In 1866 Hood County would be formed from the western portion of Johnson County, and later Somervell County would be split off of the southern portion of Hood County. It also shows “Barnard’s Old Trading House” which was located just south and across the Brazos River from present day Pecan Plantaton, which is located in DeCordova Bend of the Brazos (named for Jacob DeCordova), and to confuse matters further, present day DeCordova Bend Estates is actually located on what was Carmichael Bend of the Brazos before Lake Granbury was constructed. Got it?

You can view and zoom in on the full map at UNT’s Portal To Texas History, which by the way is a valuable resource for anyone interested in Texas History.

The Story Of The Granbury Opera House Restoration

The Bridge Street History Center is currently working on a project to tell the interesting and true story of the efforts by a group of dedicated local folks in the early 1970’s to bring The Granbury Opera House back to life.

Interior of The Granbury Opera House ca. 1974 during restoration project.