The 1861 map of Texas compiled by Jacob de Cordova and Robert Creuzbaur shows Johnson County, but there are no named communities other than Wardville, which was the first county seat of Johnson Co. and was later moved to Buchanan (both west of present day Cleburne). In 1866 Hood County would be formed from the western portion of Johnson County, and later Somervell County would be split off of the southern portion of Hood County. It also shows “Barnard’s Old Trading House” which was located just south and across the Brazos River from present day Pecan Plantaton, which is located in DeCordova Bend of the Brazos (named for Jacob DeCordova), and to confuse matters further, present day DeCordova Bend Estates is actually located on what was Carmichael Bend of the Brazos before Lake Granbury was constructed. Got it?
You can view and zoom in on the full map at UNT’s Portal To Texas History, which by the way is a valuable resource for anyone interested in Texas History.