After Elizabeth Patton Crockett and several of her children moved to Texas to settle the land grant awarded to her by the Republic of Texas in honor of her late husbands service at the Alamo, little was documented of the family’s life on their property. They built a log homestead on a hillside near the creek and began clearing and farming the land. Nothing remains of the cabin, although near the probable site are remnants of a stone wall extending toward a creek. Some time later the Crockett family built a second log cabin, which was removed to Dallas in 1936 for the Texas Centennial Celebration.
Stories have lingered linking the Crockett family to the construction of a native stone farmhouse (still standing today) built by the subsequent owner of the Crockett Bounty land. These legends claim that the Crocketts dug and lived in the stone cellar, a room about 16′ x 16′ initially built with it’s own passage and door to the outside. One tantalizing artifact has survived: a powder horn inscribed “A.B. Crockett” was discovered deep in the dirt under the living room of the house during a renovation of the house.