The City of Granbury formed in 1873, is named in honor of Confederate General Hiram Bronson Granbury. He was born in 1831 in Copiah County, Mississippi, and in 1851 he came to Texas and established a law practice in Sequin. When the Civil War broke out, Granbury recruited the Waco Guards in 1861, and was promoted to Major of the 7th Texas Infantry in October of that year. After being captured and exchanged at Fort Donelson, he became Colonel of the 7th Texas Infantry, serving in the Vicksburg campaign, at Chickamauga, and at Chattanooga. Granbury was in brigade command during the retreat from Chattanooga and was commended by the division commander General Pat. R. Cleburne. Granbury was commissioned Brigadier General in February of 1864, and he led the Texas Brigade through the Atlanta campaign and into Tennessee with General Hood. At the battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864, Granbury was one of six Confederate Generals mortally wounded. He was first buried near Franklin, TN and then 29 years later his remains were moved to the town of Granbury, Texas, which was named in his honor.