BSHC Social Media Posts

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

Amazing heritage and eclipse story!On the occasion of the eclipse, people from all over the world came to Lampasas, but none was more special than meeting Patricia Gonzales and her daughter, Jona, who drove from Oregon. Patricia is a direct descendant of Harriet and John Gracy who built the Star Hotel. Her grandmother was Abie Green Bristow, child of Charles Green and her great grandmother was Georgia Ann Louisa "Luda" Gracy, daughter of Harriett and John. Charles Green, her great grandfather, was seventeen years old when he built the 1870 wing of the Keystone Star Hotel and, subsequently, the "Little Hotel" across the street.

When Luda Gracy was in her later years, she detailed what life was like growing up in Lampasas and living in what was then the "Star" Hotel. She noted that she lived in Room 5 of the hotel which is on the first floor on the East end of the 1870 wing. This photo is of Patricia standing in Room 5 of hotel, the same room her great grandmother lived while growing up in Lampasas. ... See MoreSee Less

Amazing heritage and eclipse story!

Grand Staircase of the Bishop’s Palace built in 1892 in Galveston, TX, now open to the public for tours. ... See MoreSee Less

Photo: Granbury, TX c. 1890s (Caption reads: CIRCUS PARADE just entering the square, elephants in the lead, (long time ago) Photo Weldon Campbell

Granbury, the county seat of Hood County, is approximately thirty-six miles southwest of Fort Worth, nestled along the shores of Lake Granbury, adjacent to U.S. Highway 377. The town's roots date back to 1854 when a group of emigrants, primarily from Tennessee, led by "Uncle Tommy" Lambert and Amon Bond, ventured across the Brazos River into traditional Indian territory. That same year, Elizabeth Crockett relocated her family from Tennessee to settle on a land grant bestowed by the Republic of Texas to the descendants of those who had fought in the Texas Revolution of 1836.1866, a significant development occurred when the Nutt brothers, J. and J. H., generously donated forty acres of riverfront property to establish a fresh townsite. This led to the formation of Hood County, carved out from parts of Johnson and Erath counties, and was named in tribute to Gen. John Bell Hood. Granbury, the town itself, was named after Gen. Hiram Bronson Granerry, who had commanded Confederate troops from this region during the Civil War. To explain why the city name is spelled differently, some scholars believe the name Granberry was misread on a document. The iconic three-story courthouse, constructed from Brazos limestone and featuring a lighted clock tower, became a prominent landmark in the area.The commencement of education in Granbury occurred in 1871 when A. P. Harbin assumed the role of the first public school teacher. During the same year, the Methodists established the town's first church. One year later, in 1872, W. L. Bond founded the Vidette, the town's maiden newspaper. Granbury prospered as a crucial trading hub for much of north-central Texas, with a bustling trade in pecans, peanuts, peaches, grains, and cotton. Reunion Park, established in honor of returning Civil War veterans, served as an active venue for livestock trading and auctions well into the twentieth century.1887 marked a pivotal moment in Granbury's history with the arrival of the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway. This railway connection eliminated the need for travelers to journey thirty-five miles north to flag down the Butterfield Stages from Sherman to El Paso. This development spurred the construction of numerous buildings, predominantly two-story structures made of limestone. In Granbury, you can find thirty-nine such historic buildings, many located on the courthouse square and housing various business establishments.Among these historical structures is the Old Opera House, constructed in 1886, which has become a cherished tourist attraction. Another notable landmark is the old red brick depot, dating back to 1887, which now houses the Genealogical Museum. Over the last century, these buildings have been home to various establishments, including saloons, gun shops, a bank, the sheriff's office and jail, a farm supply store, the Beef Market, and the Granbury House. ... See MoreSee Less

Load more